Applications Open for +DS Summer 2020 Virtual Research Program
We invite Duke students to apply for the +DS summer research program. The +DS summer research program in 2020 will be a 6-week full-time experience held from May 13–June 26. We ask for undivided attention during the program (not taking other classes, working jobs, etc). Due to safety measures in response to COVID-19, the 2020 program will be held remotely and there will be no in-person or campus-based activity for students.
The program is designed to allow students who have previously completed the +DS curriculum to continue their engagement with substantive applied projects. Student can apply for either of the two +DS advanced project tracks:
- +DS Advanced Projects in Health Data Science offers Duke students, both undergraduate and graduate, the opportunity to be a part of research teams applying advanced machine learning (deep learning) to important areas of medicine. The students will work in teams, mentored by leading Duke faculty involved in data science research, with guidance by practicing clinicians. The summer will culminate in a showcase session where student teams will present their results.
- +DS Advanced Projects in Humanities offers Duke undergraduate and graduate students the opportunity to develop humanities-based projects using state-of-the-art deep learning techniques. Students will engage with critical issues in the humanities to develop projects that leverage machine learning to develop new insights. +DS Projects in Humanities is open to a wide array of humanities projects engaging with machine learning, including artworks, poetry, music, and humanities-based data analysis. Students will be mentored by Duke faculty from across the humanities and applied data sciences. The summer will culminate in a student exhibition, where final projects will be presented across a variety of formats.
Students are eligible to apply if they have previously completed (or are in good standing to complete) the +DS mini-course (POE 190.01/790.01; EGR 190.06/590.06, or the 2018-2019 projects in medicine). Students will be selected for participation informed by their prior performance with +DS.
To apply for the +DS summer 2020 research program, please email the following items to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- A current resume or CV
- In the body of the e-mail, the following information:
- Your name
- Your degree program and expected graduation date
- How have you previously completed the +DS curriculum?
- (Please specify POE 190.01/790.01; EGR 190.06/590.06, or the 2018-2019 projects in medicine)
- Your proposed summer +DS project track
- (Please specify humanities or health data science)
- Do you have any particular areas of interest for the summer?
- (For example, interests might include medical imaging, natural language processing, natural language understanding, AI and creativity, EHR-based data prediction, -omics, bias in AI)
- A brief statement of why you are interested in this program
- Do you anticipate being able to commit to a full-time engagement for the full duration of the program?
- Please describe any conflicts or scheduling limitations
- Do you anticipate being able to set up an effective remote environment?
- Please tell us if there are any areas where you might have concerns
Applications are due on Monday, April 13, 2020 by 10:00 PM. Please include “+DS Summer 2020 Research Program” in the subject line of your e-mail.